Fedex Day is a day a month when each team member builds and delivers a project in a single day. The name “Fedex” comes from “Fedex.com” – it’s all about delivering a project at the end of the day. This along with other initiatives, is our answer to Google’s 20% time, with inspiration for the original idea from Attlasian (a well known australian software company)
Here’s what we say to our team:
What’s this about?
This is about stimulating everyone to try:
- new ideas
- new technologies
- be creative
- have a key constraint of 1 day work with a delivery at the end of it
- a mechanic that forces everyone to stay ahead in competitive/ cutting edge technologies.
- a break from any routine (help with the neurones and company health)
- helps our clients tool almost everything we learn is re-utilised in our projects
- personal development
What can I do on my Fedex Day?
- Work on anything they like (that includes any programming language, tools etc)
- Work from anywhere you like (at the office, in a coffee shop, under the table, in the garage or park)
- be creative, it can be anything… some initial thoughts here:
a) widget for feedback on a page in php
b) clustering algo in .NET
c) implement http://elgg.org/ for a particular field
d) new Craigslist? (CSS) – say it’s only html/css
e) a tiny iphone App or Android or Blackberry or Strawberry
d) a simple game
- a single person must work on their own project
- 1 day during work hours
- delivery must be sent before midnight
- the project must be “deliverable” / “presentable”
Yup. There’s a nice prize attached for the winning piece, judged on creativity, effort, results.